Thursday, 20 December 2007

Kepler Challenge Report

Well the training had gone well, in fact it was perfect. Race day arrived and it was a stunning day, hardly a cloud around but the usual cold crisp start you get at 4am in Te Anau- and straight into carb loading for the 6am start. In fact Glenn and I got so ensconced in stuffing our faces we nearly missed the bus to the start line...typical boys, always thinking of their stomachs

Anyway, never fear it was off to the Control Gates at the lakeside for us and 400 other lunatics for the 6am start. Ran into Janine at the start, and Richards bro Graham- although in the murk had trouble with recognition! And off we went, the first 6.8km round the lake flew by in just half an hour, before heading into the slog up the hill. Once I worked out the controls on Lisa's flash harry MP3 player I was off like a rocket, I have to say events like this are so much better with music- I'll revisit this.

I reached Luxmore Hut after 1hr45mins, a personal best. It was cold up there but was feeling good. Stunning views as the sun came up, very very cool I don't think there is anywhere prettier in NZ than Fiordland- my ashes are going there one day- but not for a long time I hope.

After the tops section reached Iris Burn Hut- and the half way point after 4 hours, coming down the last of the zig zags with "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" in the earflaps- it seemed ironically appropriate and soon morphed into "beat it" as the17km drag race section down the Iris Burn got going. As always it was half way down here when the wall gets hit, and Lake Manapouri is a very very relieving sight at the 6 hour mark.

The last 17km for there back to the finish was a real grind this year due to the tendons on the front of my ankles swelling up. And it was hot, man it was hot- but the dude in full Army fatigues still got round, and only half an hour slower. I tip my hat to that man, apparently he had to apply to Wellington to get permission to race in the gear. As if a 60km mountain run isn't hard enough!

So I crossed the finish line after 8hrs and 42mins and beat my best time by 4 mins. Glenn turned up 45 mins later looking spritely and fresh, an inspirational effort for a bloke who practically had two broken legs for the most of November!

The Kepler continues to be the biggest challenge I've encountered, and the most rewarding finish line. Problem is now I've done 4 I have to go back again for the 5 year medal...dammit. Oh well, a few Xmas spirits will dull the pain and charge the motivation again I'm sure.

Huuuuuuge thanks to Lisa for being essential support crew for me and Glenn, and for putting up with our "Ministry of Stupid Walks" routine around Te Anau the next day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"YOU ARE LEGEND" or something like that. well done.
Mr C.