Monday, 11 May 2009

The Routeburn Classic 2009

The first snowflakes fell about 5 minutes before the race start. True to form. But then its called an "Adventure Race" with good reason....so off we went with a couple of raucous keas squawking us on. Or were they laughing?

The Routeburn is my favourite race- I think because its a bit rougher, a bit more of an alpine experience and just the right distance that you don't feel like you are completely killing yourself.

It was definitely winter from there. From Lake McKenzie hut to Routeburn Falls we were in serious snow and at times ice- at times I felt like I should be diving for an iceaxe, running without even a bag on my back as I was wearing all my gear- well it made me feel strangely exposed, but definitely free to charge!

This years finish line felt good. About 5 and a half hours, and I had a strong finish for the last 10km once out of the ice. I reckon the snow added about half an hour to times (not to mention the endless clicking of the camera) so the target of 5 hours might well have worked in snow free weather.

Some great stories were shared at the prizegiving, none less than the woman who came last ("The Worlds Slowest Indian" award), who had never seen snow before starting! I think she enjoyed it, but talk about a baptism by fire!

I'll be back next year for sure. In the meantime you'll just have to live it vicariously through a few photographs-:
As always just click on the pics for bigger sexier versions :)










1 comment:

henzell said...

that is freaking awesome!