Thursday, 22 February 2007

Auckland Shaken and Stirred

Imagine my surprise to pick up the paper this morning and hear the Jaffabowl was rocked by three pretty rare earthquakes last night. None of which I felt. I blame the Shiraz that I was drinking at the time. Worst one in the region for 117 years they say.

The NZ Herald ran a typically pathetic tabloid sensationalist headline suggesting Aucklanders ran from their homes and into the streets during these small tremors, the type of which occur every few days over the rest of NZ.

The funniest line I heard was that someone from Wellington suggestion it was somehow appropriate and even poetic that the quakes in Auckland were "shallow". Haha provincial bias in NZ is alive and kicking! 1500 people contacted the authorities over the Auckland quakes, a similar size one in Wellington yesterday attracted 4 comments to the authorities. That about sums it up really!

Bring on a new volcano in the Hauraki Gulf I say, we could use another island or two out there!

No comments: