Tuesday, 27 March 2007

The Warriors

I went to my first Warriors game on Sunday. It was fantastic! I've had a bit of a curse over the years, on the rare occasions that I watch a Warriors game they usually lose, no matter how well they've been tracking. So it was with some trepidation I went along to see them play the defending champion side from Brisbane.

I'm happy to say the Warriors were sublime, particularly for a 20 minute segment in the first half where they completely blew the game out of the water. It was a long time since I'd been to a league game (point proven by the fact it was at Carlaw Park!), but I will go again soon, making the most of the remaining time here in Auckland.

The hits were huge, you could hear them from the top of the stadium, akin to Mack trucks smacking into each other (I hope I'm still allowed to use the word smacking, has it been banned yet???). The crowd was passionate and noisy, the atmosphere fantastic.

At risk of perpetuating that curse....it could be the Warriors year. And wouldn't it be nice next to one or two World Cups in other sports?

No comments: