Thursday, 17 May 2007

Razor Review- The Routeburn Classic

The full 38km race profile..... one or two mountains in the way! (Click on Pic for blow up)

Well it snowed the two nights before the race. But race day was perfect, not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of win. What better day to be celebrating ones birthday, running the Routeburn and heading up the Queenstown Gondola for a few celebratories?

I had a really shitty sleep the night before, was wound up on too many carbohydrates and pre race nerves, I had about 3 hours sleep all told before getting up at 5.43am- exactly the time of day I was born 35 years previously- there's gotta be something in that, and ever since I have never been a morning person! (Sorry Mum)

So anyway, the first half of the race was a real slog, total "what the hell are we doing here" material. There's a couple of real gutbusters in there, especially the climb out of Lake McKenzie about an hour and a half into the race. Talk about sucking it in....but theres nothing like the view down the Hollyford and over to the Darren's to fire up motivation levels!


Harris Saddle came and went and was as spectacular as I've ever seen it, all I wanted to do was stop for lunch! But on we slogged on and to be honest at that point it becomes a drag race- either downhill or flat for the last 15 km.

After Falls Hut I did just that- twisted my ankle on the steep section. To be honest I'd forgotten just how much boulder hopping there is on the Routeburn, must have got 'lazy' on too many Kepler's. But the loud crack that came from the ole ankle as it went over didn't sound flash and the dude behind me heard it round the corner(!) which gave the initial "Oh crap I'm getting a broken ankle for my birthday" thought, but thank god its only a minor strain and post race physio means in ten days I'll be running again. I actually caned the last 10km after that which was great, since last time I did this race I really hit the wall in this section.

Congrats also to Jane and Hannah from Te Anau DOC (professional mountain goats) who nailed the race 2 minutes either side of Te Razor (who lives chained to a desk). Kudos!

And for the record I beat the support crew around again- but in their defence they had a hell of a long drive around and also had to do the housework! Jo and Paul were magnificent, and to be honest without them I would have had no hope of making the Gondola dinner and the half dozen Bourbons and flash harry smorgasbord meal that awaited.

Special mention to Chris and Stacey to- thanks so much for the effort of joining us- it was a great night and I even got spot prizes, a Speights Bag and some Cocktail Glasses. Nice!

All in all the Razor Review gives Routeburn Classic 10 out of 10 and cannot wait for next years event! Walk this track before you die, and combine it with the Milford Track over a week for the best damn seven days and you'll have in this country scenery wise (you don't have to run it then!) , pictures simply don''t do it justice.
A couple more random tasty Routeburn Pics here- not from race day though...

No comments: