Sunday, 3 June 2007

You Know Where You Are?

You're in the Jungle baby........you're gonna diiiiieeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Three weeks left till Guns n Roses hit NZ. Gn'R was the first concert I ever saw, way back in 1987 as a 15 year old. That gig still sits in my top 5 of all time, they quite literally changed the face of popular music that year with the timeless Appetite for Destruction album. I saw them again in 1993, wasn't as good a show as they were drugged out overblown rockstars in decline at that point, but from all accounts the current Chinese Democracy is one of the highest rated (and attended) shows on the planet at the present time, so come on Axl, put the bloody album out!

I have a ticket for the Auckland show, but now theres a ChCh gig announced it'll make more sense to try and go there. Funnily enough the last show I saw at the Westpac Arena in ChCH was Velvet Revolver, where most of the original members of Gn'R now reside- and the day Axl and the boys play there is the same day Velvet Revolver release their new album. I wonder if Axl will notice....

Here's a couple of clips that completely sum up what makes Guns N Roses so interesting. They are such a split personality, one minute balls to the wall punk driven rock, the next minute grandiose epic power rock.

First clip is a real treat- lotsa fun- Lost in the Garden of Eden from Use Your Illusion. Click the pic to play this hidden gem...thank you You Tube!



Second clip is my favourate G N R track of all time, Estranged. It's loosely described as the sequel to November Rain, charting Axl Roses personal drug riddled demons and the path to redemption. So here you go, enjoy one of the most expensive music videos ever made.... no doubt coz the dolphins charged ridiculous appearance fees!

2 comments:

Dirty Rat said...

He he he, My first Gig was Mi-sex in Tauranga in 1980

Brilliant band

Tony said...

Ha nice....to this day I'm still stoked that early G n R in their heyday was my first live gig....and still one of the best I've seen. A true benchmark.