Friday, 8 June 2007

One Week To Go

Well I'm into the last week before the Drift South begins. Bit sad to be leaving DOC but all my projects are in good shape and I know they will carry on just fine without me. Its all come round pretty fast in the end. I could have left six months ago when the crap hit the fan, but I'm glad I stuck it out- DOC has been good to me and going to places like Great Barrier, Kawau, Rangitoto, Tiritiri, etc for work is pretty sweet really.

Theres no doubt the wider experience of living in the Jaffabowl is pretty vibrant. Of course I'm not going to miss the traffic jams...but overall Auckland ain't that bad, its a shame the political masters around the Council tables are still suffering from decision making paralysis though, the Queen City I believe is on the cusp of really great things, provided they find the right leadership. Personally I think the biggest issue is that 5 Councils running one city is a bloody disaster waiting to happen- and sadly in some cases it already is, as evidenced by Stadium debates, Roading disasters, and most recently the shameful decision to continue to allow wasterwater to be pumped into the harbours in order to continue meeting a profit target. But overall there are many worse places one could live- you don't have to look far overseas to see where!

So next Friday is the last day, theres actually three of us finishing on the same day -forming an orderly queue at the exit door! No doubt thats going to be a bit of a rowdy night on North Head. From there the plan is to catch up with Rattus in Tauranga, and then carry on down to Wellington for a couple of days before jumping on the ferry and being in ChCh very soon after that.

The good news is my faithful car Ubi is now in full working order. The bad news is its taken a grand total $1826.24 to get it there....but at least its now a machine I can sell for an overall profit rather than push off the cliff out Piha way! So if you hear anyone wanting a wagon that'll get them through a couple of years at a Razor Sharp price come and see me!

So anyway, overall I have learnt to appreciate Auckland a lot better this time round, it will be a wonderful place to visit in the years to come! One day I'll get round to giving the place a full review....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure you say hello in Wellington, the greatest city in the southern hemisphere!
you know my name, look up the number!
Bevan.

Tony said...

Absolutely Positively.... haha... although the wind has clearly gone to your head mate.

But theres a couple of bars with our names on them on Sunday or Monday night