Monday, 1 October 2007

Atiu Part Three- Coffee and Leaving

The Edge of the Deep Blue Sea

Well I only had a grand total of three days on Atiu and it wasn't enough. Reading the visitor book at Are Manuiri it was notable that even people who spend weeks and weeks there think they didn't give it enough time!

For the last day and a bit I did a lot of walking. Plenty of wildlife- local doves, kingfishers, even one of the worlds rarest parakeets, the Kura, which has just been reintroduced to Atiu. No humpback whales though, unlike the day before I arrive. Scariest thing was probably the crabs- big ones, little ones, fiesty ones, chicken ones. You do not want to accidentally step on a Coconut Crab while hopping round the Makatea- these things know how to husk and open coconuts with their bare claws!

Makatea at Oneroa Beach
For the last night Marc and I went down to Roger Malcoms bar and watched Canterbury win the Ranfurly Shield off Waikato- something I wasn't expecting to do on a tiny island 4000km from home! We won't mention the fact that the Shield is gone already...thats a whole other tragic story!

It was a bit of a sleepless night the final night, which meant the Coffee Tour with Juergen was fantastic timing. And Andrea's Art Studio was particularly inspiring, my wall hanging is in the post as we speak. Thanks guys for your hospitality!


Tony and Juergen

It was with great reluctance that I left Atiu....but looking back a month later it is still indelibly marked on my mind (and I still have some imported coffee left!)

I leave you with a couple of website links to look at if you want to know more about Atiu. I completely recommend it!




Be sure to read the fine print when leaving Atiu airport customs....(click pic for blow up)

One more post to come on the Cooks series...the return to Rarotonga. Walks, climbs and the mighty Tumunu restaurant...standby!

No comments: